This recipe has quickly become a favorite in my house. The Man asks for it at least once a month. Who am I to question his good taste? 😉 In the latest version, I added a few new twists to the layering and ingredients.
- Layer One: Instead of cooking the mushrooms with the meat, I placed a layer directly on top of the pie crust.
- Layer Two: Meat, onion and garlic mixture is next. Make sure to pack it down nice and tight.
- Layer Three: Add in your steamed broccoli. If you don’t want broccoli, add in spinach or any other fresh green vegetable of your choice. Any fresh veggie will do honestly. I also added a few tomatoes in with this layer.
- Layer Four: Cheese, milk and egg mixture. Instead of 1 egg as usual, I used 2. Whip that up with a whisk REAL good. The more you’ve whipped it, the creamier and fluffier it will be in the long run.
- Layer Five: Add on another layer of mushrooms. Let’s face it, you can NEVER have too many mushrooms. Then sprinkle with as many diced or sliced black olives as you want. We like the fine dice/minced…Texas Caviar.
- Layer Six: Top with thinly sliced tomatoes and onions.
I must say, this was by far the best version yet. Next time I’m thinking of using both broccoli and spinach, and perhaps even some chopped Brussels sprouts.
Below are the ingredients you’ll need and step-by-step cooking instructions.
1 uncooked pie crust (store bought or prepared)
1 pound ground beef
1 cup mushrooms – sliced (I use canned mushrooms
1 medium onion – diced
1 clove garlic – minced
1 teaspoon mustard (yellow or Dijon depending on taste)
1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
1/3 cup bread crumbs
1 cup fresh steamed broccoli – chopped
1/4 cup black olives – diced, sliced or minced
1/3 cup milk
2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
Tomato and onion slices
Salt and pepper to taste
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line cookie sheet with foil to place the pie on. This will help catch any drips, which will always happen if you’ve done it right.
2. Brown ground meat in skillet with onion and garlic. Drain well.
3. Mix bread crumbs, meat mixture, mustard, Worcestershire sauce and spices of your choice. Pour into pie shell and pack it nice and tight.
4. Sprinkle broccoli onto meat mixture. Here you can also add a few sliced tomatoes if you prefer.
5. Combine milk, egg and cheese well. Spoon on top of pie.
6. Add another layer of mushrooms and sprinkle with black olives.
7. Top pie with tomatoes and onions.
5. Protect pie edges with foil or a pie shield to prevent edges from burning and cook for 15 minutes. Remove foil/shield and cook another 15 minutes or until crust reaches desired color.
6. Let sit for 5 minutes before serving.
* Can be made in advance and chilled. Just cover with foil and reheat for 20-30 minutes.